How to Get SEO Back-Links – Strategy Series, Part 2 – Comment On Other Blogs
Continuing with our SEO back-link strategy series, we come to my favorite, blog commenting. There are many benefits to leaving comments on relevant and popular blogs, one being back links to your blog or web site. To recap, a comprehensive SEO strategy includes a large back linking campaign to get high search rankings. Blog commenting leaves your hyperlink on the blog your commenting on and if that is a high-ranking blog you can get some pretty descent rank boosting link juice. This is one key to this strategy, is finding the right blogs to comment on.
3 things to look for when choosing a Blog to comment on
- Relevant - You want to leave comments on blogs that are relevant to your niche, topic, product or opportunity. To utilize and get the most out of your blog comment you will want to brand yourself as an expert in your field. Repeat exposure to your brand will also create brand recognition and emotional bonding with your demographic or target market. This is done with a simple blog search on google, Technorati and/or my favorite because it ties into Facebook techniques, Networkblogs.com, for your keywords.
- Popular - Beside getting more authority points from the search engines, popular blogs are just that, well read. Blogs that have large readership, by nature, are very informative and helpful in their topic/niche. These types of blogs become hubs in the blogosphere and have active and enthusiastic following. These blog communities are a great source of traffic and valuable subscribers for yourself as well. Ways to tell popularity are Alexa.com ranking, Google ranking or celebrity bloggers ie. Darren Rouse, Ty Tribble etc.
- DoFollow - Although it is not imperative, you still will get more link love if you comment on blogs with DoFollow enabled. Other things to look for extra oomph for your comment are Commetluv and Keywordluv plugins on the Blog you are commenting on. Do a Google search of blogs in your niche/topic, with "Dofollow" and Commentluv, you will actually get several web sites that have directories of such blogs.
How to comment on Blogs
Once you have found 10-15 popular blogs in your topic and or industry there are some basic ground rules I would like to recommend:
- Read the article or post. This probably is the most important part. If you leave a comment that the author can tell you did read it, they are more likely to approve the comment.
- Don't SPAM. Always make your comment relevant and on topic. Do NOT promote products. This is where to build relationships with other bloggers and readers, not soap-box.
- Offer Freely of Good Information. Be informative and helpful as possible. Add to the value of the post.